The Detroit Lions are facing another up and down team this season when they travel to New Orleans to face the Saints. Drew Brees is in the twilight of his career and some have speculated he may not be around much longer. Detroit is in a position of flux, especially with their general manager being fired at mid season and no one knowing who the next man in charge will be. With nothing left to play for, both teams come into this game trying to perform for jobs next season.
- Detroit Lions Offensive Line vs. New Orleans Saints Defensive Line – The Detroit offensive line has their work cut out for them again this week. Last week they surrendered 3 sacks to defensive tackle Aaron Donald. This week they face a duo of Kevin Williams and Cam Jordan. Jordan leads the team with 8 sacks and will likely add to that total this week. If the Lions cannot contain Williams and Jordan, this will get out of hand early. Edge Saints
- Detroit Lions Tight Ends vs. New Orleans Saints Linebackers – Brandon Pettigrew is done for the year. Bear Pascoe might play in his place, but having been just signed this week, the odds that he is a difference maker are low. Expect him to be a bit player with Eric Ebron seeing the majority of the work. Can Ebron get going against the Saints linebackers Edge Saints
- Detroit Lions Wide Receivers vs. New Orleans Saints Secondary – The Lions receivers had a chance to break out last week against a limited Rams secondary but they did not do it. This week they face Brandon Browner, who is a very good, physical corner and Delvin Breaux, who has become the Saints’ shutdown corner this season. With only Golden Tate and Calvin Johnson being effective receivers this season, expect a stalemate here. Edge None
- Detroit Lions Running Backs vs. New Orleans Saints Run Defense – The Lions run game has been pathetic all season. The have not had an individual with more than 100 yards all season, and the weeks where the team goes over 100, its due to Matthew Stafford pitching in on the run game. Regardless of how good the Saints run defense is, the Lions run offense will stop itself. Edge Saints
- Detroit Lions Quarterbacks vs. New Orleans Saints Pass Defense – The Saints secondary is very good and the Lions play poorly against good pass defenses. Expect more of the same this week as Browner and Breaux have help at safety in Kenny Vaccaro and Jarius Byrd. Edge Saints
- Detroit Lions Defensive Line vs. New Orleans Saints Offensive Line – The Saints revamped their offensive line this offseason and it shows. Brees has not been sacked a great deal. With Max Unger at center, expect the pressure to have to come from the edge. Ziggy Ansah may get a sack or two, but no one else should be expected to generate pressure this week. Edge None
- Detroit Lions Linebackers vs. New Orleans Saints Tight Ends – Ben Watson has done his best to make the Saints forget about Jimmy Graham and so far he is doing a great job. The Lions have been terrible at covering tight ends all season and Watson will make an example of them this week. Expect over 100 from him and probably a touchdown. Edge Saints
- Detroit Lions Secondary vs. New Orleans Saints Wide Receivers – Brandin Cooks and Marques Colston are very good receivers. Darius Slay will shut one of them down, but the question remains as to whether Nevin Lawson can shut the other down. This week may be interesting, but with a healthy Glover Quin and Isa Abdul-Quddus likely starting opposite him, expect the Lions to contain the Saints receivers. Edge Lions
- Detroit Lions Run Defense vs. New Orleans Saints Running Backs – The Lions run defense has been good, at least when they do not face good physical runners. This week they face Tim Hightower who is no slouch in the run game. I do not expect a big explosion from him this week but he will be productive. Edge Lions
- Detroit Lions Pass Defense vs. New Orleans Saints Quarterbacks – Drew Brees is one of the best and he will find ways of exploiting the Lions secondary this week, even if its by targeting their big tight end Watson. With as good as Slay has been lately, the Lions secondary just is not strong enough to stop a future hall of famer. Edge Saints
- The Saints return game has been stunted by the injury to Marcus Murphy, but do not sleep on them. CJ Spiller is still an explosive runner and he looks to display that explosiveness against the Lions. With nothing brewing lately on Detroit’s side, this may be non-factor for either team. Edge None
Lions 2 Saints 6
This match up looks lopsided in New Orleans’ favor. The Saints have the better team and the Lions have no confidence or motivation going into this one. Expect Drew Brees to put up big numbers at home as he always has this season and the Lions to falter once again on Monday Night Football.
Detroit Lions 10 New Orleans Saints 38