The Detroit Lions are on a two game win streak. This does not make any logical sense to onlookers. If you look into it though a little further, Detroit has suceeded offensively against teams that do not have a pass rush. The Lions are also now hitting the easiest part of their schedule and it may lead to more wins. They play Green Bay one more time, otherwise they play all teams with losing records. They also play against several teams with backup quarterbacks starting. Can the Lions win this week against the Eagles? Who will be the Eagles quarterback?
- Detroit Lions Offensive Line vs. Philadelphia Eagles Defensive Line – The Eagles defensive line does not exactly strike fear in the eyes of offensive coaches. The Lions offensive line has struggled as well though. I fully expect Matthew Stafford to take a few hits but will it impact the offense? I do no see any team having a clear advantage here over the other. Edge None
- Detroit Lions Tight Ends vs. Philadelphia Eagles Linebackers – The Eagles linebackers are pretty solid. Connor Barwin and Mychal Kendricks are quality players and Demeco Ryans was one of the top linebackers several years ago. The Lions have a good blocking in tight end Brandon Pettigrew and he has gotten a bit more involved in the passing game as of late. Eric Ebron has had several drops lately and is becoming a non-factor. Edge Eagles
- Detroit Lions Wide Receivers vs. Philadelphia Eagles Secondary – The Eagles have some very solid individual players in their secondary, but as a unit they have weaknesses. Calvin Johnson has been solid lately for the Lions, but he is hardly the Megatron we remember. Golden Tate has played well the last couple of weeks but far from the same player he was last season. Still, the Lions receivers can be productive against this secondary. Edge Lions
- Detroit Lions Running Backs vs. Philadelphia Eagles Run Defense – The Lions have run better lately, but they still cannot run the ball. The Raiders were a team they should have run well against and Matthew Stafford was one not far behind Ameer Abdullah in total yards rushing. The Eagles will win this match up. Edge Eagles
- Detroit Lions Quarterbacks vs. Philadelphia Eagles Pass Defense – The Eagles have some very solid pass rushers but they are not registering big numbers so far this year. Stafford has struggled against pass rushes but not against average defenses. The Lions however will need to get open and protect enough for Stafford to do his job. Edge None
- Detroit Lions Defensive Line vs. Philadelphia Eagles Offensive Line – Ziggy Ansah is still doing his thing. The rest of the defensive line is not what the Lions were hoping for when they lost Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley, CJ Mosely, and George Johnson. Haloti Ngata is near the end of his game and he likely will not be back in Detroit unless it is at a significantly lower salary. The Eagles offensive line is not great. They let go of their best guard in the off season and their best lineman is currently Lane Johnson. Neither team has anything worth saying it is a game changer. Edge None
- Detroit Lions Linebackers vs. Philadelphia Eagles Tight Ends – The Lions linebackers are getting better. Josh Bynes is no DeAndre Levy but he is solid. Tahir Whitehead is getting better and Stephen Tulloch no longer looks like he is 85. Still, without Levy and facing a quality tight end in Zach Ertz, the Lions have issues. Edge Eagles
- Detroit Lions Secondary vs. Philadelphia Eagles Wide Receivers – The Eagles receivers are average at best. Jordan Matthews is their leading receiver and he only has 565 yards. No other Eagles receiver is close. Slay can match up against Matthews leaving the Eagles with nothing left. Edge Lions
- Detroit Lions Run Defense vs. Philadelphia Eagles Running Backs – Demarco Murray is a quality back but the Eagles are not using him properly. Due to this ineffective usage, the Lions run defense is up to the task. Edge Lions
- Detroit Lions Pass Defense vs. Philadelphia Eagles Quarterbacks – The Eagles struggle at quarterback. Sam Bradford is their unquestioned starter but his health is the big concern. He is practicing but whether or not he plays in a short week is unknown. Mark Sanchez is the backup, but against the lowly Buccaneers, his team was blown out. Edge Lions
- Detroit Lions Special Teams vs. Philadelphia Eagles Special Teams – Other than Darren Sproles, the Eagles are not a strong return team. Sproles is good enough though and the Lions need to contain him. Ameer Abdullah is a solid returner as well but will he get a chance to spring a big one? Both teams have talent but are inconsistent. Edge None
Lions 4 Eagles 3
The Lions have the edge here slightly against the Eagles. That does not really mean much given that the past two weeks the Lions have been at a disadvantage and won. Regardless, with it being a home game, Thanksgiving, and coming off a win, Detroit has forces working in their favor. Will they beat out the Eagles? It all comes down to the trenches. If the Lions can stuff the Eagles run game and can protect Matthew Stafford, they have a great chance to win. Nevin Lawson has filled in marvelously for Rashean Mathis and Slay has played very well. While they are not a top secondary, they can lock down these Eagles receivers.
Detroit 27 Philadelphia 14